Between surfing through online support communities and good old fashioned googling, I’ve come across some pretty interesting things. In order to increase their chances of success with IVF people start acupuncture, laser acupuncture (?), hypnosis, Royal Jelly, shots of wheat grass, Bee Propolis, a vegan diet, deep breathing techniques, self-help/motivational reading, and a plethora of other supplements, fads and magic.
I understand it. I do. I just can’t subscribe to it.
Yes, a healthy lifestyle is…healthy. Good for you, good for biological processes. I agree. But – I don’t think the party-girl who gets accidentally knocked up (7 times) is hopped up on dark leafy greens and self-improvement reading. Think we can blame that one on the al-al-al-al-al-alcohol.
As for me, I’m doing what I was before. Watching what and how much I eat, exercising and laughing. My doc says to not take any other supplements outside of a prenatal - so that’s what I do. I trust him, he’s a doctor- and his reputation in the fertility community rests on the shoulders of my success. At what point is a team of highly educated trained specialists, a $10,000+ procedure and thousands of dollars worth of specialized medication just not enough? Is the pimply faced 19 year old at GNC or the power crystal peddling love child really in on some kind of hidden truth about pregnancy through IVF that my doc isn’t? Its superstition and the ever-present guard against it, when we should just be saying Inshallah.
What I’m trying to say is if you’re out there, and you’re going through IVF minus the Royal Jelly, “The Secret” and hypnosis – you’re not alone. If you’ve found yourself raising your eyebrow at the thought of using a push-pin to relax – you’re not alone. And, if you find yourself feeling slightly bad about being so skeptical – well…on that one, you might just be alone.
No comments:
Post a Comment